Negative Google Review? You CAN BE SUED for something you write online. Will your home policy respond?
Posting reviews has become second nature for many consumers nowadays – 82 percent of adults say they read online reviews at least some of the time, according to a Pew Research Center Study . Recently, according to a CBS News report a man in Florida was sued for defamation after posting a negative review for an Animal Hospital incurring legal costs in excess of $25,000. You can read the article here. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/posting-a-negative-review-online-can-get-you-sued/.
Consider the following scenarios:
- In an online review, you or a family member vents frustration about the contractor you hired to remodel your kitchen. The contractor sues you for loss of business.
- Your spouse has a blog where he or she shares the daily struggles and joys of parenthood. Last week’s post about the PTA criticized the group’s president. The president sues for defamation of character.
- In an online post, you insinuate that the only reason a person in your office got a promotion is because she was in an inappropriate relationship with the boss. The result is a suit against you.
- Your son forwarded an inappropriate picture to his friends. The parents of the girl in the photo sue everyone who saw it
Can the Home Insurance policy help? Maybe
Your standard homeowner policy covers the following. Always check with the specific insurance carrier to double check what is included or excluded.
- Loss of Use
- Bodily Injury / Property Damage to others
What most people do not know, is the homeowner policy EXCLUDES defamation, libel, and slander.
You should be talking to an independent insurance agent making sure you home insurance covers these exposures. If not, you could be out thousands of dollars. $$$$$
Contact Crawford Yingling Insurance to discuss your homeowner insurance protection plan.
Crawford Yingling has been serving Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Virginia for over 100 years. We are committed to guiding and protecting all generations.